"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." --1 Corinthians 13:13

Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Journey (Part II)

Mozambique was the last place on my mind in the middle of my junior year of high school.  In fact, several years earlier, when a dear acquaintance who also happened to be a missionary in Mozambique, told me that she could see me being a missionary in Africa, I laughed thinking the possibility was insane.  Maybe it was insane, but when I was faced with the opportunity to go to Mozambique, my heart was drawn, and I could think of nothing else.  Miraculously, all of the pieces fell into place, and in June of 2011, I boarded several planes that took me to my final destination--Maputo, Mozambique.  With a heart wide open to learn and love, my life was forever changed as I began to give my heart away...

I gave my heart to the people of Africa:

6/19/11

...In all of my life, I have never met such kind people.  Although we could not speak them through words, we communicated in a far greater way!  I fell in LOVE with the people of Africa!  They swarmed us with love, hugs, and kisses on both cheeks!  They were delighted to see us, and I could truly feel God's love being poured out upon me.  Oh, to have God's love like they do.  At the service we got to sing with them which was amazing!  Although I could not tell what words I was singing, I know it was praise to God!  They have such beautifully powerful voices, and they dance and clap with joy.  Truly God's spirit is with them.  I could have stayed forever.  I was so happy!  I will never forget those wonderful people and the inspiration that they are!

 
 
I gave my heart away to the simple yet profound joys in life:

6/19/11

We went to see a soccer team play a game.  I SO wanted to talk with all of the kids there watching.  The best thing I could do was smile.  There was also this old woman collecting sticks (probably for her fire).  I helped her get one, and she said, "Obrigada."  (thank you)  Her face lit up!  I am amazed that something so simple could bless her like that. 


 
 
I gave my heart to the countless orphans that call Mozambique home:

6/20/11

I could write pages and pages on all of the children, but I will have to write on just a few.  There was Carolina who had a horrible skin disease, and her head was basically decomposing.  I don't know if she had AIDS...When she blew bubbles though, her face would light up!  Later I saw her crying all alone.  At first, I didn't want to touch her for fear of getting sick, but then I remembered how Jesus touched the lepers, and I knew that I could not let her go without love.  As soon as I wrapped my arms around her, her tears vanished and a smile emerged on her face. 

Solene was a darling little gal who loved to take pictures with my camera.  All of the kids loved doing that!  She also responded to me doing "The Little Piggy" with her by doing it back to me in her language.  Aww!  Another little girl just sat on my lap and was a doll! I hugged a little girl named Luisa, and she did not want to let go.  I started blinking at a little boy, and we just did it back and forth.  His smile grew bigger with every blink.  Another time, we were singing an African song with crazy clapping.  I did not know how to do it, so I put my hand by the sad little girl next me, and she cheered up just clapping my hand! 

Sooo...much more I could write!  I just LOVE knowing that I can do something!  I can show LOVE, and these people LOVE it!   It was very humbling because the fed us lunch, and they obviously gave us their best food.  We had beans and rice like the children, but then they gave us fish too.  Their love is so amazing, and it inspires me to love more like them.  I brought some of my worst clothes and jewelry, but these teenage girls were telling me how they loved it and thought I was so beautiful.  They give me what I came to give them.  What a blessing they are! The whole time at the orphanage was simply living and breathing love.  That is what I wish my entire life to be like. 





No comments:

Post a Comment