"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." --1 Corinthians 13:13

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Mourn with those who Mourn; Rejoice with those who Rejoice

Watching a mother lose her child to cancer is probably the worst thing that I have ever seen.  The child moans and cries when touched.  I hold the mother's hand, and she fights the tears that flood her eyes.  A language barrier prevents me from giving her words of hope, and what would I say anyway?  There we are--both helpless--our hearts broken.  Then I begin to wonder why am I here?  What can I do?  I try to be strong and put on a smile for the other patients who need some joy.  The pain of the suffering mother and her daughter haunts me.  I want to fix it, but I can't.  Then I realize that it is not my job to fix or heal.  Only God can mend and restore broken hearts.  My job is to "rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn."  When it is too much for me to bare, I send heartfelt prayers to God--a God full of mercy and compassion who came to earth to heal the sick and ascended to Heaven to carry those who suffer to a place where there will be no more mourning, crying, or pain." 

1 comment:

  1. My beautiful Abigail - God has put you exactly where you need to be. He's given you a gift of understanding, and a compassionate heart. I'm praying for you to have strength, to be filled with God's love and understanding, and abundant peace. As much as you love those hurting people, God loves them even more - all he's asked you to do is trust him. He is in control. I'm praying for that Mother - I pray that she is brought closer to God through this terrible time. Be strong and courageous, Abigail, God is always right beside you. I'm praying for you!

    ReplyDelete