"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." --1 Corinthians 13:13

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Life in Maputo


Ola, meu amores!  My brain cannot think clearly as I am constantly trying to translate my thoughts into Portuguese phrases with my limited vocabulary.  If this note seems choppy and abrupt, please realize that I have two conversations going on in my head. 

Last night, I went to bed early because I was exhausted.  After two hours of sleep, I woke up wide awake.  I am on the fourteenth floor of an apartment building right in Maputo, Mozambique (my first time living in a big city!).  It is very windy here, and the howling wind, the blaring sirens, the barking dogs, and the pouring rain all played a part in keeping me awake.  Every time that I would try to relax and sleep, thoughts would pop into my head, and my brain instantly tried to translate them to Portuguese.  My head hurt, but my brain would not shut off.  As the hours passed, I realized just how lonely I felt and how much I missed my friends.  After four hours of reading, journaling, tossing, turning, and praying; Jesus reminded me to keep my eyes on Him.  I found peace in repeating His name over and over until I fell fast asleep.

Today, I woke up well rested for the first time in weeks, and it has been a very good day.  This afternoon I went to Hospital Central de Maputo and saw all of the children that I met yesterday; but today they were not as shy, and I was not as tired.  All of the children have cancer and carry an IV port in their hands or arms as a result.  They have good days and bad days depending on whether or not they have recently received treatment.  We pull out a table and chairs and spend several hours coloring pictures, writing, and playing together.  I was able to practice my Portuguese with the children as they are very forgiving of my mistakes and excellent teachers.  Learning Portuguese is much like building a puzzle as I am constantly trying to piece together conversation, and I am ecstatic when I find new pieces that fit. 

Today, I found more treasure.  Regina and Florenca are five-year-old little girls and cancer patients at the hospital.  They were shy yesterday but not today.  They kept inching closer and closer to me until I began to draw and write hand-over-hand with them.  Eventually, I picked them up onto my lap, and they began touching my blonde hair and exclaiming over it like it was the most amazing thing in the world.  They took off my ring and began playing the guessing game as to which hand it was in.  My favorite part was when I kissed them saying, “Beijhos! (kisses),” and then they began kissing my cheeks repetitively one after another.  They didn’t want to stop, and I knew right then and there that I was exactly where I was supposed to be.  Loving and being loved—it doesn’t get much better than that.

Living with a Portuguese family in Mozambique has definitely given me a case of culture shock, but I cannot complain as my host family is kind beyond words and simply breathing in the air of Mozambique makes my heart come alive.  I greatly appreciate all of your love, kind words, and prayers.  While it is not always easy, I am very happy to be here in Mozambique and know that this is where I am supposed to be for this season of my life. 

3 comments:

  1. Jet lag can wreak havoc with your sleep. Hope you adjust quickly. What an adventure you get to have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When times seem the toughest, loneliest, scariest - remember God has led you "exactly where you are supposed to be" (quoting you!)
    We are praying for you and especially your language trials.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't pretend I'm not jealous of those lovely girls - getting to love on my best friend. Abigail, God has given you an AMAZING opportunity to be Jesus to those children - what he has been for you, now you get to be for them. Love on those kids, dear, and when you feel exhausted, know that I LOVE YOU, and God loves you EVEN MORE!

    ReplyDelete