"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." --1 Corinthians 13:13

Monday, September 16, 2013

Layover Musings


This past week has been insanity.  After I said goodbye to my job and residents at Joy Givers Senior Home, I thought I would have a quiet week to prepare for my journey to Mozambique.  Well, let me tell you; this past week has been everything but quiet.  However, God has definitely used each and every moment of this week to prepare me for my journey and to shape my heart to allow me to most effectively love and receive love. 

Now, I am sitting at Dulles International Airport awaiting my flight across the Atlantic to my beloved continent of Africa.  I am exhausted from a week of sleepless nights, and my heart hurts for the burdens and sufferings of those whom I have loved so dearly but now have to step away from.  Yet, I know that the exhaustion has brought me to the end of my rope.  God is all I have to fall back onto, and there is no place that I’d rather be than in His arms.  Furthermore, the tears that I fight back remind me that I have truly loved.  While my love fails, I pray that my expressions of love point back to the unfailing love of God.  I find peace in knowing that love is unending, inevitable, absolute, and independent of me.  God is love, and through my brokenness limitless love is poured.

It dawned on me this week that love is not based on perfection.  Love is about embracing the image of God in each and every individual despite their sins, flaws, and mistakes.  Love is about hope, and I am all about hope in a world that reeks with hopelessness.   I cannot promote a religion of perfection when I am so imperfect.  I believe that is hypocrisy.  Rather, I get to dance in the freedom of redemption.  Jesus was and is perfection, who laid Himself down to meet me in my dirt and brokenness.  He came to constantly fill me with love.  I know He’s there; I feel Him.  His love is extravagant.  I only hope that as I encounter people, I get close enough for His love to spill out and splash over them.
Life is a treasure hunt, and the treasure is the person next to me... I found a treasure during my layover.  Yay, for new friends! 

Treasure: Alyssa from Switzerland

No comments:

Post a Comment