"And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." --1 Corinthians 13:13

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Stories, Stitches, Scars, & Peach Pits


I have never had stitches before—not until today that is…

Today was a day full of the unexpected.  We planned to leave early for a trip across the border to South Africa.  However, due to some political unrest, we decided to postpone our trip.  We shifted gears, and Alice and I planned to spend the afternoon at the hospital with our beloved cancer patients as we usually do.  By 2PM, we were ready to go, and Jorge offered to drive us. 

Maputo is a very windy city; but as the aftermath of a big storm last night, today was exceptionally windy.  When Jorge opened the door of our 14th floor apartment for us to leave, a tremendous gust of wind came out of “I don’t know where,” causing the glass window of a second door behind me to shatter.  In an instant, I was showered by glass.  Alice with her mother’s heart asked if I was hurt.  Only then when I saw her concern did I examine myself for injuries.  When I looked down, I noticed a slice on my right foot.  Thankfully, it was not bleeding severely, but Alice and Jorge thought it would be best to take me to the hospital and get it looked at.  So, I got another taste of Mozambiquan hospitals—this time as a patient.  The nurses and doctor were very kind, and I ended up with six stitches (give or take a few as I was too engrossed in watching the procedure to count).  While all this was happening, Jorge called to tell us that the car had broken down.  Alice and I caught a taxi back home and once again found ourselves back in our 14th floor apartment.  Yes, I think we were all feeling like we should have just stayed in bed today.


 
The scene of the accident: note the door missing all of it's glass window pain.
 


 
While Jorge was cleaning up glass and Alice was getting medical supplies, I was sneaking a picture.

 
Stitches!
 

 
Having a little bit too much fun with my super swell doctor.  He was so happy to be treating a future nurse. :) 
 
 
Tada!  All ready to heal.
 
As I was attempting to stay off of my foot as instructed by the nurse, I had time to do a lot of thinking.  My biggest regret of the day was not being able to see and love on my friends at the hospital.  I like to help other people through their suffering and problems, but having others help me through mine is more difficult.  This requires me acknowledging that I have problems.  I came to Mozambique, with a lot of wounds of my own—some that I didn’t even realize that I had because I had been masking, hiding, and numbing them for so long.  Yet, as I begin to truly see others’ pain, I begin to feel.  Then, as I begin to feel, I feel my own pain.  Now, more than ever, I want to heal so that I can also help others to heal.  No longer do I want to shut off emotions or exchange them for more “socially acceptable” ones.  I don’t want to deny the existence of pain or punish myself endlessly for causing it.  Neither do I want to slap a Band-Aid on my wounds and leave a trail of blood as I run around trying to “help” people. 

It is time for stitches.  It is time to accept the grace and care offered to me by God and those who love me.  In the end, I am left with a scar.  Behind every scar is a story of pain, but a scar also tells the story of healing.  I want to allow my scars to enable me to relate to others better. 

Shortly before coming to Mozambique, someone told me that I was like a peach.  “Cute.  Sunny.  Sweet.  But, there’s a pit inside.  Out of that pit comes new life; a tree grows.  From that pit—fruit is produced.”  I think that I am ready now.  I am ready to allow beauty and life to arise from my pit rather than allowing it to rot.  I may need a little watering and nurturing along the way, but thankfully, my life is filled with nurses, doctors, mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, and of course there is you.  Thank you for sticking with me throughout this journey.  Thank you for desiring to see me blossom, bloom, and produce fruit.  Thank you for believing in me even when all there is to see is a pit.  Here’s to healing and growth!

3 comments:

  1. love this whole thing! Glad you're foot is ok too girlie! He makes beauty from ashes....:) Thanks for sharing this journey with us....and I love the part about you becoming a nurse....I'd be your patient any day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Behind every scar is a story of pain, but a scar also tells the story of healing." Such beautiful wisdom, Sweet. I rejoice each time I read of your deepening discovery of God. You are quite lovely. Keep being receptive to the healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I came home today to voices in the other room saying: "Abigail" "stitches" and "hospital" ... needless to say I was expecting the worst, and was prepared to catch the first flight to Africa to save my darling friend. However, it sounds like such drastic measures won't be needed - you seem to be in good hands! ;)
    Today in class we were learning about Rwanda and the massacres that happened between the Hutu and Tutsi people - I know you're not anywhere near there, or in any similar circumstances, but as I was watching the video I was thinking of you the whole time. All those people had such horrible things happen to them - they were starving and sick and forced to live in the jungle, and I was thinking about how we're over here, sitting comfortably at our desks with our hundred dollar textbooks, and they're dying across the ocean. And then I realized: "Hey, my best friend is in Africa, giving so much of herself to help people like that - she really gets it." WOW. You really understand the meaning of love, Abigail...I'd say we all have a lot to learn from you. I've got a lot to learn from you. Prayers heading your way! Heal up - STAY OFF THAT FOOT.

    ReplyDelete